1980 film “Flash Gordon” comes to 4K in August
The 1980 film “Flash Gordon“ starring Sam J. Jones and directed by Mike Hodges is officially coming to 4K UHD Blu-ray on August 18th, via Arrow Video. EDITORIAL NOTE: This will be one of their first 4K releases for distributor Arrow Video, and we’re excited to see them join on in supporting the format.
The film itself co-starred Melody Anderson, Max von Sydow, Topol, Ornella Muti, and Timothy Dalton. The film has a “brand new 4K restoration by Studiocanal from the original camera negative approved by director Mike Hodges” according to Arrow Video. Tech specs include the 2.35:1 aspect ratio in HDR10 and Dolby Vision forms of High Dynamic Range as well as DTS-HD Master Audio in 5.1 and 2.0 Stereo configurations. The upcoming standard (“Special Edition”) 4K UHD Blu-ray is now available for preorder over at Amazon. It is most also certainly worth noting that there will be a Limited Edition 4K UHD Blu-ray “Collector’s Set” available (as pictured below), which is now listed for preorder over at Amazon.
Bonus materials differ from what will be on the 1-disc standard 4K release and the 2-disc Limited Edition “Collector’s Set” — of which the latter will feature an exclusive second Blu-ray Disc. For that very reason, I’ll be listing it further below, after the break.
Here are the contents of the exclusive Blu-ray Disc for the Limited Edition Collector’s Set:
- 2017 feature length documentary LIFE AFTER FLASH by filmmaker Lisa Downs on the rollercoaster life of Sam J. Jones since his role in Flash Gordon, featuring the main cast and crew as well as a host of fans including Stan Lee, Robert Rodriguez, Mark Millar and more!
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by critics and film historians including Neil Snowdon, Dennis Cozzalio, John-Paul Checkett, A.K. Benedict, and Kat Ellinger illustrated with original stills
- Fold-out double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions, alternative posters and promotional images
Now, for the bonus materials of the first 4K UHD Blu-ray disc, included on both versions of the release, which are detailed below.
- Archival audio commentary with Mike Hodges
- Archival audio commentary with Brian Blessed
- Interviews with actors Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson, Brian Blessed, Queen icon Brian May, composer Howard Blake, and poster designer Renato Casaro
- Behind the Scenes of Flash Gordon an archival documentary on the making of the film
- Archival interviews with Mike Hodges, screenwriter Lorenzo Semple Jr., comic book artist Alex Ross
- Lost in Space: Nic Roeg s Flash Gordon a new documentary program exploring the version Roeg (The Man Who Fell to Earth) had originally planned to make with producer Dino De Laurentiis
- Gremlin’s Finest Hour an episode from the animated Flash Gordon TV show written by J. Michael Reaves from November 1982
- Deleted scenes and original endings prop collector Bob Lindenmayer discusses dropped sequences and sequel ideas
- 35th Anniversary Greenroom featurette Mike Hodges meets the cast for the first time since filming at the 35th anniversary reunion
- 35th Anniversary Reunion featurette the cast and crew discuss Flash Gordon
- Entertainment Earth on Flash Gordon merchandise
- Storyboards gallery
- Stills gallery
- Original Trailer
- Easter Eggs
Finally, it’s worth noting that there’s a reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Adam Rabalais included as a physical extra.